Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicken Tetrazzini

Are you ready for one of my favorite go-to comfort meals?
My husband and I love this dish and when we just need something that we know is always good, this is what we have. It is simple, fairly quick, and again...delicious.

My mom made this for my brother and I all the time when we were kids and I loved it every.single.time.
I like to think that my mom invented this recipe and that it is all hers, but I know that's not true because another lady from the church I went to most my life put it in the church cookbook...sigh :-/, but I can still pretend in my own little world.
There are so many different recipes out there for Chicken Tetrazzini, but this is my favorite one due to it's simplicity.

You will need:
-1 package of spaghetti, broken into thirds(you will only need a little more than half of the 13 oz package...and I use whole wheat most of the time- gotta save on calories when ya can)
-1/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 cup chicken broth
-1 cup heavy whipping cream (just do it, folks)
-2 T sherry (if you have it, no biggie if left out)
-2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I always use a rotisserie and it is perfect)
-1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or however much you feel like!) Btw, I love freshly grated parm, but for this recipe I love the ol' powdery stuff in the green container.

Preheat oven to 350. Cook and drain spaghetti according to directions on box.
While the spaghetti noodles cook, I take the time to de-bone the chicken. While simultaneously kicking my dog out of the way.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring (best if you use a whisk) constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
Stir in broth and whipping cream. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. (This is where the whisk is handy, helps keep the mixture smooth and creamy). Boil and stir for one minute (do not let it burn).
Stir in sherry (if using), spaghetti, chicken, and mushrooms.
Btw, your house smells delicious at this here moment.
Pour into an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with however much Parmesan your heart desires (our hearts desire a lot of it).
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Look at how good this looks!
Serve with some green something rather (we gotta have something healthy, duh) and some garlic bread. Mmm good!

This is a great dish to make for someone who just had a baby or for when loved ones are ill. Besides the mushrooms, it doesn't have anything too crazy in it and so most people will love it.

Try it sometime! You won't be disappointed.

What are your go-to comfort meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...