Sunday, August 28, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

Mac and cheese might be the best comfort food ever. (Just so you know, I always re-read my posts before posting and originally I had typed "man and cheese". That would have been awkward. While man and cheese is good, that wasn't really the type of post I was going for...anyways).
I rarely make this dish because I need to keep the pants I have and if I ate this a lot, I'd have to buy bigger pants.
But, there are times when all you want is mac and cheese. When those days occur, just make this easy and delicious recipe and nothing else will matter.

This recipe comes from one of my favorite bloggers, The Pioneer Woman. She never fails me. Never.

You'll need:
-4 cups Dried Macaroni
-1 whole Egg Beaten

-1/4 cup (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
-1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
-2-1/2 cups Whole Milk

-2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired

-1 pound Cheese, Grated

-1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste

-1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt, More To Taste

-1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper


Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

While the macaroni is cooking, grate some cheese. This dish is so much better with cheese that you grate yourself as opposed to buying it grated.

In a small bowl, beat egg.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly.

Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.

Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.

Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.

Add in cheese and stir to melt.

Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed.

Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.


Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.

I mean, that looks delicious, right?? I have always baked it in the oven with additional cheese, but I think next time I make it, I will just serve it without baking it and see how I like it. It can't be bad. It is impossible for mac and cheese to be bad in my opinion. Pure comfort.

Make it and enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...