Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese

Who doesn't love tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich? Actually, if you were to ask my 7 year old self you would find out that I don't...but, I have learned to love tomatoes and so a soup full of them sounds delightful to my 25 year old self.

I found a recipe for a crock pot tomato soup and I knew it was a winner in my book.

Here is what you'll need for the soup:
-2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
-1 cup finely diced celery
-1 cup finely diced carrots
-1 cup finely diced onions
-1 tsp dried oregano
-1 T dried basil
-4 cups chicken broth
-½ bay leaf
-½ cup flour
-1 cup Parmesan cheese
-1/2 cup butter
-2 cups half and half, warmed
-1 tsp salt
-¼ tsp black pepper

Preparation:
Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don't be afraid to always season to taste at the end).
Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

Here is what you'll need for the grilled cheese:
-sourdough bread
-provolone
-olive oil (I used the olive oil because I used all of the butter I had in the soup, but I liked the olive oil mixture just as well.)
-basil

Preparation:
Mix the basil in a small bowl with the olive oil. Brush the bread with the olive oil mixture and put 2 slices (the provolone I bought was small) on the bread and "grill" in a pan on medium heat until golden on one side. Flip the bread and brown the other side.


This soup was so good and the husband was making noises the whole time he ate it, so that's always a good sign...at least I think so :)

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Original recipe: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...