Friday, March 1, 2013

Modernizing Furniture

I remember when my mom got this piece of furniture.  I can't remember if it was an estate sale or what, but I know we were in her Honda Accord (the model that was more the size of a Civic is now) and we somehow got this and a coffee table in the car.  When my mom has her mind set on it, she will find a way.
The furniture is originally intended to be a computer desk.  I think we used it for that for a short time, but it's been used for many things and in my house it holds our cookbooks, board games, and PS3 games.
I love this piece of furniture because it serves many purposes and is a solid piece.
I was way over the green color and those legs were too curvy for my taste.
I knew I wanted a color that would pop against our beige walls but not be too loud.
I decided on a navy color by Sherwin Williams called Naval 6244.
I LOVE this color and it pops just like I hoped! I have a few accessories in our living room that are about this color so it's perfect.
I knew I wanted new knobs and my husband picked these out at Hobby Lobby.  I got all 6 for $12 because they were 50% off....I looked at Anthropologie and they had some of the exact same ones Hobby Lobby did, but they would have cost me $60.  No thanks!
I needed that $60 to buy these hairpin legs.  I have been wanting hairpin legs and I knew this was the perfect chance and they really helped modernize this piece.
They did cost $88 ($20 of that was shipping), but it was money well spent!

Here is the before (this was taken at our old house 4 or so years ago- see how much my style has changed?)

(Sorry for the terrible quality and hello crooked picture, but this was saved from FB because I forgot to take a before picture.)

And the after:




I love it and it looks so good in our living room.  I think I am finally satisfied with this room for a while!

Has your style changed?  Are you more of a traditional decorator or are you hopping on the modern train too?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...