Friday, April 18, 2014

Motivation to care for the temple


Having a baby changes everything.  There isn't a part of my life that hasn't been affected by having Nolan.  All for the better of course.
However, having a baby completely changes a woman's body inside and out.  
Please understand that every stretch mark is so completely worth it and I am sure after I have all of my babies there will be plenty more.  And that's okay.  It is okay to have stretch marks.  It is okay for your stomach to not be flat ever again.  No matter how hard you work out or how healthy you eat.
I have found myself to get very frustrated with my body five months post baby.  I am tired of always thinking, "what hides my stomach the most" when looking through my closet for something to wear.

Perhaps it is due to the trend of posting "selfies" on social media.  Especially before and after photos photos of people after a workout.  I get it, we like to share our victories with each other and get excited when we finally lose the jelly roll or finally get the arms we've always wanted.  It's exciting.  And then come the comments all about how great they look and can't believe how awesome they look after just having a baby and etc.  But, people like me quickly start comparing and think about how hard we have been working, but the jelly roll just won't budge.  Or also like me, think it isn't fair when people look like they haven't had a baby one week later.  Jealousy is a demon of mine. 

I had read an Instagram post a few weeks ago that really spoke to me and I try and remember it when I start to get frustrated...
"My waistline is not the same as it was before six kids (or however many).  And I'm learning to let the freedom of that not affecting my contentment be the motivation to care for the temple, and not be enslaved by it...a vessel THROUGH which, not TO which, we worship.  And sometimes, that means that we need pics of less than perfect mamas, cuz it's okay if mamas wear big smiles and look like they've had kids."

So mamas, let's not forget that our bodies are temples that miraculously carry babies and that it's OKAY if it is always evident that we carried them.  Whether it was a few months or even a few years ago.
There is a difference between striving for health and striving for a body that doesn't look like it birthed children.


2 comments:

  1. true that! I am living proof - working out consistently 10 years and eating healthy - still having a chocolate now and again and that stomach certainly shows 3 kids in 1.5 years. I agree it is hard to see people who just gave birth look the exact same as before, but everyone's genetics are different I suppose. It's just important to take good care of ourselves. You are doing great 5 months out! Took me 3 years to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this post. There is something so incredibly convicting about this statement: "a vessel THROUGH which, not TO which, we worship," It is SO easy as a woman to get those confused because so much of our beauty has been validated by how we look...not who we are. I love this and your heart for Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...